The printer driver converts the data that you send to a Windows PC to a printable format unique to a particular printer configured on the network. However, when users try to install a new printer driver on a PC or connect a printer to a computer, Windows tends to fail to recognize the hardware. It can be seen as an error message on your computer and can be fixed if you figure out the root cause.
Windows Printer Driver Problems may occur due to any of the following reasons:
- The incompatible printer driver installed on your computer, either in combination with a printer or Windows version;
- Incorrect configuration of the printer driver on Windows;
- A malware attack on the device files where the printer driver is located;
- Incorrect driver entry in the Windows Registry.
When you see an error message such “Spoolsv.exe has a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the downside “on your computer, which reveals that the mounted printer driver is incompatible with the OS. In any case, when it is installed on the PC or downloaded from the manufacturer’s website, you would need to install the latest driver manually.
Common Printer Issues
To navigate to the location of the Windows 7 printer tab, use the steps below on your computer.
- Start and select Control Panel.
- Choose the hardware and sound, and then the printers.
- Right-click on the printer driver that you want to install or upgrade, and select Run as Administrator.
- Navigate to Properties > Advanced and choose the New Driver tab.
- Go through the on-screen tips to manually install the new printer software on your Windows PC.
Alternatively, you can download and install the software from the website of the printer manufacturer. When you do so, just make sure you have the latest version of the driver to avoid printer driver errors on Windows and repair them. Even if the error occurs as “Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience, “to take the same steps as above to resolve it.
To prevent a printer driver error from recurring on Windows, keep the driver up-to-date. However, if it is a malware that causes the problem, you will need to uninstall it with reliable antivirus software.