Few items can prove to be as frustrating as finding errors when you attempt to print a document at home or in the workplace. The main explanation is that most people nowadays just print anything they need, so when they get around to it, they always expect it to go smoothly, which is not always the case. Offline printer error is not the only thing that can mess with you in this way; there’s an even more irritating issue that a lot of printer users have seen lately. This is an error message that reads “Printer Needs User Help.”
This message can be viewed either in the printer’s top panel or in the PC dialogue box. Some brands have this, with laser printers displaying it more frequently than inkjets. You might take it to mean that a print job has been compromised, that the spooler is off, or that a critical driver may be missing. Below are a few possible solutions that you can seek should you ever come across this error.
Start the Print Job Over
- You need to start print work first. To do this, press the Cortana button, type “Devices and Printers” and move to Devices and Printers.
- Choose the active printer shown here, and then press See What’s Printing. It is going to open the window below.
- Right-click on the particular print job you are planning to restart, and select the Restart option from the different context menu entries.
Clear Out the Print Queue
- It will delete all print jobs, which can be all it takes to get the printer running again correctly. Turn off the printer to clear the queue.
- The print spooler operation needs to be halted. Start by hitting the Windows + R key combination to get the Run button, type in services.msc, and hit Enter.
- Double-click the Print Spooler button, and the related window should be opened. Click the Stop button, and the spooler will be turned off.
- Tap on the taskbar for the File Explorer and type in the Navigation Feld C: WindowsSystem32spoolPRINTERS.
- Choose all the files in this folder and delete them as one.
- Go back to the Print Spooler Properties window and press the Start button to restart the service.
Restart the Computer’s Print Spooler
This is also used as a solution for user interaction error. All you need to do is open the Services window in the Run dialogue using the services.msc command. Right-click on Print Spooler to construct a context menu, then press the Restart option shown in the context menu.
Use the Printer Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a slew of tools, which can help with repairing software and hardware issues, and more to the point, troubleshooting printer issues. The Printer Troubleshooter is one of them useful in several respects and extremely helpful in resolving issues with printer features. The next steps are to run Printer Troubleshooter on Windows 10.
- Click the Cortana button on the taskbar and in the field that appears, type the printer and press Enter.
- Choose the option Find and fix printing issues to start the troubleshooter.
- It’s best to run this with admin permissions, so instead of double-clicking, right-click and choose Run as Administrator.
- After that, click Apply repairs automatically.
- Hit Next, and wait for the troubleshooter to scan for the issues. Any fixes that can be made will be applied automatically, so you just need to be patient.
Try Reinstalling the Printer’s Driver
Drivers can serve problems when they are incompatible, or even outdated, making it much harder for efficient hardware to use. If you reinstall a printer driver, most errors, including the offline printer error and the “Printer Needs User Intervention” error, should be fixed. The main thing is to make sure that all the latest manufacturer drivers are installed on the printer.
- Fire Cortana up and type System Manager, press Enter.
- Select System Manager and wait until your window appears.
- Click Printers and right-click on your printer. Select Uninstall from the context menu, and then click OK to confirm your changes.
The next time you log in, Windows installs the newest printer driver automatically. When this doesn’t occur, however, the current iteration of the printer model driver must be manually found and downloaded and installed in your PC.
Make sure you do have the right driver and follow the instructions on the installation wizard screen. Get in touch with our tech support experts for any additional help with the “Printer Needs User Intervention” error.