Printer errors are not uncommon, and such as “Windows failed to recognize new hardware” are very popular when you try to install a new printer. Most of these errors arise when the printer driver is not correctly installed, or when the printer driver is out of date or corrupted. Print driver problems are the key explanation for most printer errors. Fortunately, most printer driver issues are easy to fix, and the following post discusses the causes of some of the most common printer driver errors.
Printer drivers are software programs that are responsible for converting the data the user orders to print to a form understandable by the printer. There can be several explanations for problems with the printer driver. Some of the most common reasons are given below.
- Incorrect configuration of the printer driver
- The printer driver is not compatible with the Windows version or the printer installed
- Incorrect printer driver entry in the Windows registry
- Malware infection of printer driver files
Unless you have a problem with your printer driver, you may not be able to print documents, or some of your printer ‘s features may not work correctly. Two common error messages for the printer driver are listed below.
- “Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be closed down. Sorry for any inconvenience. “This error message is usually displayed when the printer driver installed is not the latest.
- “Spoolsv.exe has found a problem and needs to be taken down. This error message will be displayed if the installed printer driver is not compatible with the Windows version you use.
Fix Printer Driver Problems Install the Last Driver
You can use a good driver update tool like DriverDownloader to correct printer driver problems. After you have enabled the software, open it and click Scan. The software will automatically recognize the printer that is connected to the device and find the latest driver available. Then the printer driver will be installed.
You can also update the new version of the driver manually, but note that it can be a time consuming process depending on the software you choose to upgrade. The steps for manually installing the printer driver are explained below.
Install Driver from Printers Folder
If the latest printer driver is stored on your computer, you can install it manually by following steps.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select your hardware and sound.
- Select Printers and right-click the one you need to install the driver and choose Run as Administrator.
- Select Properties, then click Advanced.
- Click the New Driver tab and follow the instructions on the screen to install the printer driver.
Download and install the manufacturer’s driver
You can visit the printer manufacturer ‘s website to find the new driver available for your printer model. You can then download the driver and follow the instructions provided on the printer manufacturer’s website to install the driver.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Printer
When you find that installing the latest driver doesn’t solve your printer issues, the next thing you can do is uninstall and reinstall the printer. It is recommended that you uninstall and reinstall the printer when you find errors such as failed printer settings, enlarged coupon, incomplete coupon prints, weird symbol output etc.
You need to navigate to the installed printer to uninstall a printer. The steps with operating systems can vary. Follow the steps below to navigate to the printer.
- Go to the installed printers and press the yellow folder on your desktop.
- Select the computer, then open the Control Panel. When you are unable to find the Control Panel, you should hold down the Ctrl key and then click the F1 key.
- Choose View devices and printers.
Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Click the Windows icon on your desktop.
- Select Computers and Printers.
Once you navigate to the printer, you should follow the steps explained below to uninstall the printer.
- Right-click the default printer, and then select Remove device.
- You can then press the Yes button to remove the printer.
These steps will remove the printer that is connected to your computer. You should reinstall the printer now.
- Select Connect a Printer under Computers and Printers.
- You need to select the type of printer you want to use. You can switch between a personal, wireless, or network printer.
- Select the type of printer you need to install and follow the instructions to complete the process.
- Set the printer as the default one and click on Finish