Network printers installed in Windows 7 are shown to be offline, even though some of the other devices on the network can access the printer. The reason for this offline printer issue is that the status of Simple Network Management Protocol ( SNMP) is enabled. SNMP monitors and collects information from network devices such as routers, printers, servers, etc. to find out if the device has any problems.
Most of the network devices have SNMP support and respond to queries that have been made with relevant query-related information. However, not all network devices have this particular protocol, which is also used to communicate and establish connections. If your printer does not implement SNMP, but other users send a print query over that protocol, the status of the network printer will appear as offline.
There’s an easy offline network printer fix or a Windows 7 workaround for that. In layman terms, it involves disabling the protocol to bypass it and fix the status of a network printer. Follow the steps below to fix the offline printer.
- Click Start, search for Devices and Printers, and open.
- Right-click the printer icon and choose Properties
- Click on Ports and choose the Configure Port option below.
- Deselect the checkbox that shows the status of the SNMP in the new window
However, if you do not find the option, the printer must have been installed in Windows 7 with a setup file and not over a TCP / IP port. If you do not share it from a server system, follow the steps below in each network computer to add a printer over that port to every one of them.
- Right-click the printer icon under Devices and Printers and choose Properties
- Click on Ports
- Click on the option that will start with Add Port.
- Double-click the standard TCP / IP port
- In the wizard that pops up subsequently, click on Next.
- Key in the IP address and continue to setup
- Choose the Generic Network Card as your default and choose Next.
- Click Finish
- Close the dialogue box of Ports
- Double-check that the Internet Protocol ( IP) address is selected
- Click Apply and then click OK.